"Just like a neuronal graffiti, the last image frame was dancing indecisive between his blinded photo-receptors and his immediate memory." Little he knew the image would continue to develop, nurtured by his subconscious, into a whole new idea.

Monday, May 24, 2004

Neverending dance

I'm not a professional musician, but I pride myself of having enough ability to play a few instruments quite well. Since I don't really have the time to play in a band, I thought I'll give GarageBand a try. Although the software comes packed with hundreds of loops, you'll have to put a little bit of effort if you really want to create something original. I experimented a little bit with the iMac built-in mic, but that was terrible, since there was almost no noise control. The big breakthrough came when I decided to get some professional advice from the guys at Saved by Technology, who were kind enough to recommend a M-Audio USB Audio Interface and a decent microphone. It didn't take long to start getting the results I was looking for.

I like to improvise with the sax. Pick a tune from my jazz collection and just play along. GarabeBand will let you import any song (almost) from iTunes, so once I've imported a song as a new track and configured the audio, I can just let those ideas escape. Being collaboration and improvisation the foundations of jazz, I don't really feel guilty about using this method to produce my own versions of someone else's creations. It's all about the neverending dance of ideas in the Noosphere.

Thanks to Joshua Redman for his tune "Neverend", source of inspiration for my own version.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a fellow saxer I know what you mean. It is fun and I will have to give one of those programs a go sometime. :)

6:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home